Our Blog
Our Blog

Working at Heights Vs. Fall Protection

I work at heights, What do I Need to Take?

At ICSS we offer both an MOL approved Working at Heights course and a fall protection course - so what's the difference and what do you need to be taking?

I Work in Construction...

You need to take Working at Heights (full day training). This is the course mandated by the MOL, there's some info from them below:

The Occupational Health and Safety Awareness and Training Regulation (O. Reg. 297/13) requires employers to ensure that workers on construction projects successfully complete a working at heights training program if they may use specified methods of fall protection. The working at heights training requirements apply to the employers of workers on construction projects who are required by O. Reg. 213/91 (Construction Projects Regulation) to use any of the following methods of fall protection:

  • travel restraint system
  • fall restricting system
  • fall arrest system
  • safety net
  • work belt
  • safety belt

This training requirement is in addition to existing training requirements for workers who use fall protection systems on construction projects, as set out in the Construction Projects Regulation (O. Reg.213/91).


I work in another workplace...

You are looking for fall protection training (1/2 day course). Again some info from the MOL site is below...

Workers do not have to complete CPO-approved working at heights training if they work at workplaces that are not covered by the Construction Projects Regulation.

Further stakeholder consultations and proposals for regulatory amendments would be required if the Ministry of Labour were to extend the new mandatory working at heights training to other sectors beyond construction.

Whether a particular activity is considered to be maintenance or construction will continue to be determined on a case-by-case basis, subject to specific workplace conditions and an initial assessment of the situation.

Login to post comments.